Asset Manager, a Composer plug-in, offers an effective solution to store, organize, find, retrieve and share digital files. When I was hired, a beta version had been released for internal clients. Business development needed me to help evolve and improve usability with a focus on a better user experience. This involved improving and implementing new functionality while creating a new user interface.
It was very important to have a clear picture of the product’s current content and structure. I conducted a full content inventory to determine what changes might be necessary to improve the information architecture and improve the product experience and funtionality.
I spent two days on-site at one of Pointroll’s partner companies, first observing users creating ads with Composer. Through interviews I was able to determine the user’s (actual) job responsibilities, the steps they needed to perform to complete their tasks, other applications, paperwork and people they interact with, and what pain-points the users struggled with. With the data I collected I was able to create a library of personas and user stories for development.
I created user flows for each persona. The data I had collected allowed me to ensure that each flow was obstacle-free. All access points were included as well as other applications needed to create, complete, and deliver a digital media ad.
The development team was using a Lean Agile UX process and wanted to validate their user stories. The product was too early along in development and had limited functionality. Low fidelity Axure prototypes were created as a solution. I was able to find test participants that matched the personas through Pointroll partner companies. Google Phone and Chat were leveraged to communicate and share my screen in real time. The participants were given a scenario with tasks to perform, then they were observed and evaluated on how well they performed those tasks.
1. No one understood the dynamic icon and didn’t choose it without help.
2. Not all users understood what they were looking at on the canvas after a dynamic image was selected.
3. Users chose the change feed image button to make edits and didn't click on the dynamic icon to edit a feed.
A new group of users were shown a prototype and asked to perform the same tasks as session 1 with updates to correct the problems.
1. All the users understood where to begin with a clearly labeled feed icon.
2. Users were able to understand the flow because of a simpler interface and with the splitting of the process into 2 steps. Even though novice users didn’t understand the concept they were able to add a dynamic image component to the canvas.
3. Users did not choose the feeds icon to make edits. They looked in the change image properties accordion.
A new group of users were shown a prototype, and asked to perform the same tasks as session 2, with updates to correct the problems.
1. Users quickly understood the process and concept. Clearly labeled buttons helped guide the user. Novice users understood the concept and quickly added an image to the canvas.
2. All the users were able to complete the work-flow and add an image to a new feed. Instructional text helped lead them.
3. All the users were able to change a feed url by clicking on the dynamic icon. They remembered the "add a feed" process and returned to make edits. They also quickly changed an image in the property panel without going to the dynamic feed panel.